My name is Nicole Caraballo and I am a clinical psychology doctoral student at the Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology. I am running for the APAGS position of member-at-large, membership recruitment and retention focus because I am passionate about building and uniting our community of psychology graduate students. I would like to work to expand the services APAGS offers to students and educate the psychology graduate student community on the importance of an APAGS membership. As graduate students, we are the future of our field. I understand our field is not perfect and we are experiencing significant stressors including the internship match crisis and limited graduate funding. In addition, we are in need of diversifying our membership and recruiting and retaining members that are currently underrepresented within APAGS.
If elected to the APAGS position of member-at-large, membership recruitment and retention focus, I will dedicate my term to include the following missions:
- Represent the diversity in psychology by recruiting and retaining members that are currently underrepresented within APAGS.
- Communicate with psychology graduate students to understand what students need from their APAGS committee and the APA.
- Develop initiatives to meet students’ needs and facilitate growth in resources within APAGS for members to enhance their professional development and APAGS membership value.
- Build on past committee work including carrying out a new initiative focused on fostering and improving mentorship opportunities for APAGS members.
- Engage in working groups to enhance the development and implementation of policies and priorities within the broader APA structure.
- Increase and promote the amount of free and reduced cost division memberships available for APAGS members.
I currently work with the Alumni Relations Office at the Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology where I am responsible for creating initiatives to build community and resources within our developing alumni membership network. I enjoy the creative process that membership recruitment and retention entails. If elected, I am ready to manage the important responsibility of growing and sustaining the community within APAGS.
Thank you for your consideration!